Saturday, January 14, 2012

When Should I Sign Up For Childbirth Education?

Congratulations on your upcoming birth! Now what? Should you take a childbirth class? Well, it is true I am biased, so my answer is of course you should.

However, I am not the only one who believes this. Robin Elise Weiss from About.com agrees with this NYC Doula too.

The biggest reason to take a childbirth class and take it early on in your pregnancy is so that you have the time to act upon the information given. I'll never be able to stress this enough. If I had $100 for every time I received a phone call from a crying mother-to-be asking for my help in finding a practitioner who will take late transfers because at week 35 the practitioner told her that she would not be allowed to do something she thought her practitioner would have no problem with, well I'd be standing in a whole lotta green cash right now.

In NYC it's nearly impossible to get an OB to take you onto their roster once you are past 20 weeks. Therefore I always suggest that pregnant couples start my childbirth education classes on their 15th week. My childbirth education classes stress how to cultivate strong communication skills between the parents and the practitioner. Starting at your 15th week allows the parents the freedom to transfer, with ease, should they discover that the OB they are with does not envision their birth as they do or wish.

Upcoming Childbirth Education classes in Queens, NY are starting soon. If you'd like to enroll in the next class series or book a private class in your home please visit http://www.nycdoulaservice.com/childbirth-classes.html